When you’re moving home there seems to be an endless list of things to think about and organise. Here’s a helpful list to remind you.
4 Weeks Before
- Complete a change of address form with the Post Office to re-route mail.
- Inform magazine, book and record clubs of your new address.
- Decide which items you would like to donate to charity.
- Notify water, gas and electricity suppliers to have your services turned off after your departure.
- Arrange for utility connections at your new home.
- Notify schools, churches, clubs of your impending move.
3 Weeks Before
- Collect packing materials from Jarrettsif you wish to pack any items yourself
- Make a list of contact names and telephone numbers you will need when you move into your new home
- Consider plants and pets on moving day
- Dispose of items you don’t need in your new home
- Return borrowed things and collected things you loaned to friends
- Make arrangements for servicing your appliances
- Contact carpet cleaners if required
- Notify doctor, dentist, optician
- Start to run down the contents of your freezer
- Make a sketch plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings
- Transfer insurance to cover fire, theft and personal property at your new home
- Consider attending a car boot sale to dispose of items you don’t need in your new home
2 Weeks Before
- Dispose of flammables such as petrol, matches, cleaning fluids, bleach and aerosol cans
- Discontinue regular services such as newspapers, window cleaning, etc
- Arrange to have satellite dish moved to new property
- Inform friends and family of your new address.
- Arrange for fitted carpets to be professionally loosened if you intend to take them with you.
1 Week Before
- Transfer bank and savings accounts to avoid losing interest
- Arrange to discontinue your telephone service and establish a phone service at your new home
- Arrange for rugs and curtains to be cleaned
- Use up your frozen food supply or made arrangements to give it away
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other garden equipment
- Pack / empty your loft and / or sheds
- Find and label keys
The Day Before
- Defrost and thoroughly clean the fridge
- Take down pictures, mirrors, curtains and blinds
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher
- Arrange minders for children and pets
Relax and let Jarretts do all the work but remember to:
- Disconnect light fittings
- Make sure plants are drained of excess water
- Make sure you have personally taken cash and jewellery with you to your new home
- Lock all windows and doors – turn off all switches before leaving
In summary, here’s a list of organisations and people you may need to notify of your move:
- House insurance company
- Car insurance company
- Electricity Board
- Water Board
- Gas Board
- Telephone company
- Internet provider
- Post Office
- Building Society
- Inland Revenue
- School / college
- Local council
- Motor organisation
- Newsagent / magazine subscription
- Sports / social club
- Satellite / cable TV provider
- Church / place of worship
Please fill in your details below with a brief description of your needs and we will reply as soon as we can.