When you’re moving home there seems to be an endless list of things to think about and organise. Here’s a helpful list to remind you.
4 Weeks Before
- Complete a change of address form with the Post Office to re-route mail.
- Inform magazine, book and record clubs of your new address.
- Decide which items you would like to donate to charity.
- Notify water, gas and electricity suppliers to have your services turned off after your departure.
- Arrange for utility connections at your new home.
- Notify schools, churches, clubs of your impending move.
3 Weeks Before
- Collect packing materials from Jarrettsif you wish to pack any items yourself
- Make a list of contact names and telephone numbers you will need when you move into your new home
- Consider plants and pets on moving day
- Dispose of items you don’t need in your new home
- Return borrowed things and collected things you loaned to friends
- Make arrangements for servicing your appliances
- Contact carpet cleaners if required
- Notify doctor, dentist, optician
- Start to run down the contents of your freezer
- Make a sketch plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings
- Transfer insurance to cover fire, theft and personal property at your new home
- Consider attending a car boot sale to dispose of items you don’t need in your new home
2 Weeks Before
- Dispose of flammables such as petrol, matches, cleaning fluids, bleach and aerosol cans
- Discontinue regular services such as newspapers, window cleaning, etc
- Arrange to have satellite dish moved to new property
- Inform friends and family of your new address.
- Arrange for fitted carpets to be professionally loosened if you intend to take them with you.
1 Week Before
- Transfer bank and savings accounts to avoid losing interest
- Arrange to discontinue your telephone service and establish a phone service at your new home
- Arrange for rugs and curtains to be cleaned
- Use up your frozen food supply or made arrangements to give it away
- Drain fuel from lawnmowers and other garden equipment
- Pack / empty your loft and / or sheds
- Find and label keys
The Day Before
- Defrost and thoroughly clean the fridge
- Take down pictures, mirrors, curtains and blinds
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher
- Arrange minders for children and pets
Relax and let Jarretts do all the work but remember to:
- Disconnect light fittings
- Make sure plants are drained of excess water
- Make sure you have personally taken cash and jewellery with you to your new home
- Lock all windows and doors – turn off all switches before leaving
In summary, here’s a list of organisations and people you may need to notify of your move:
- House insurance company
- Car insurance company
- Electricity Board
- Water Board
- Gas Board
- Telephone company
- Internet provider
- Post Office
- Building Society
- Inland Revenue
- School / college
- Local council
- Motor organisation
- Newsagent / magazine subscription
- Sports / social club
- Satellite / cable TV provider
- Church / place of worship
Please fill in your details below with a brief description of your needs and we will reply as soon as we can. By clicking Send you are giving Jarretts the right to contact you. Jarretts will not share your information with third parties.